Dive Into Reading
1000 Books Before Kindergarten
What is Dive Into Reading?
Reading with your child is the best way to build a strong foundation for future success. The Long Beach Public Library is proud to offer Dive Into Reading, a year-round early literacy program for our youngest readers. The rules are simple and the rewards are priceless.
The Long Beach Public Library challenges you to read 1,000 books to your little one before starting kindergarten. You can read any book as many times as you like to count toward the total of 1,000 books. Any book read aloud during storytime at the library also counts!
1,000 Books?! How long is that going to take?
1,000 books may seem like a lot of books, but let's do the math. Reading just one book a night means you'll read 365 books in a year, 730 books in two years and 1,095 books in three years! Imagine if you read two books a night? Or three? Most kids start kindergarten around age 5, so there's plenty of time. You can do this!
How it Works
1. Visit one of the three participating Long Beach Public Libraries to sign up and pick up your book tracker. The participating libraries are: Main Library, Los Altos Library, and Michelle Obama Library.
2. Color in a bubble in the book tracker for every book you read with your newborn, infant or toddler.
3. After every 100 books you read, come back to the library for a prize.
4. When you complete 1,000 books, return to the library to receive your final prize.
Ways to Share a Book with your Child
· Read together. Check out our Recommended Reads, Reading Tips for babies and Reading Tips for toddlers and preschoolers.
· Attend a Library Storytime.
· Visit your child's favorite book over and over again.
· Talk or sing about the pictures in a book.
· Let your child tell the story.
Dive Into Reading Calendar
Each participating library will host Dive Into Reading programs throughout the year. Those programs will include an age-appropriate performer, a workshop for parents, and a Play and Learn session with a local professional to interact with families. See our 2019 Calendar for more information.